We're All Damaged

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Possessive Tense


Adults often make the mistake of over analyzing a child’s ramblings and trying to eke out hidden shreds of wisdom.  But not me.  I like kids, particularly cute ones, but I’m rarely floored by what they have to say.  I’ve never been at a dinner party and had the mashed potato-covered toddler in the Superman onesie teach me something I didn’t know about how the world works.

“You know, that’s a good point,” I’ve never said to a toddler.  “Maybe a two-party approach really is the most effective political system possible.”

Take my daughter for instance. So far, she’s yet to prove herself as a linguist.  For example, in a crowded airport lounge the other day, just as the guy with the microphone was about to start herding people into lines, Caroline grabbed the crotch of her little jeans and said loudly, “A poo-poo?”

Note the question mark.  We’re still working on the difference between poo-poo and pee-pee, which often leads to this line of questioning, usually in front of a bunch of people I don’t know. Also note the "A."  It’s never just “poo-poo.”  It’s always “a poo-poo,” as if she’s offering me something. 

A glass of water, perhaps?  A piece of sugarless gum?  A poo-poo?

So, as you can imagine, I was pretty surprised this past weekend when I heard our friends’ two-year-old daughter utter the most emotionally sophisticated sentence I’ve heard in years.  We were in our friends' living room having drinks while the little ones toddled around playing with toys and knocking things over.  My daughter found a talking Elmo doll and was playing with it intently.  When our friends’ daughter saw this, she burst instantly into tears and screamed: “Give me have that!”  And then she snatched Elmo from my daughter’s hands and ran out of the room.   

“Did she just say ‘Give me have that’?” I asked.  Indeed she had.  Apparently she’s going through a possessive stage.

When their daughter returned a few minutes later, she discovered that Caroline was now playing with a tray of little plastic cupcakes. “Give me have that!” she repeated, and the whole scene played itself out all over again…and again…and again.

I’ve been thinking about that sentence, and repeating it incessantly, for four straight days now, and I’ve realized that the reason it’s so powerful is that it’s a hauntingly accurate way of communicating an emotion that each of us—toddler or otherwise—experiences virtually every day.   We want to be polite, and so society forces us to say: “Excuse me, could I have that please? I mean, if you're not using it, and it's not too much trouble.”  But what we really want to be saying is, well… “Give me have that!”

And so next time you see someone with something that you want—a chocolate chip cookie, a cool watch, a BMW, a two-story colonial home with shutters and a wraparound deck—try telling that person what you’re really thinking for a change.  From what I witnessed this weekend, it’s actually pretty effective. 

thenormannation@gmail.com


13 comments:

  1. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the future. I want to encourage continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

    Also visit my web page - how belly dancing rmvb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up to all, the contents present at this web page are actually remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.

    Feel free to visit my website: singing lessons online

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some good points there. I looked on the
    net for more info about the issue and found most people will go
    along with your views on this website.

    my blog post: tattoo removal before And after

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I've just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I've found out so far.
    However, what in regards to the bottom line?

    Are you positive in regards to the source?

    My web blog: How To Eat Paleo Vegetarian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I could have sworn I've visited this web site before but after browsing through a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm certainly happy I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back often!


    Feel free to visit my web site - violin lessons for children

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my blog so i
    came to go back the prefer?.I am trying to to find things to enhance my web site!
    I assume its good enough to make use of some of your concepts!
    !

    My weblog guitar lesson videos for beginners

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am extremely inspired along with your writing abilities and also with the
    layout on your blog. Is that this a paid subject or did
    you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is rare to peer a
    nice blog like this one these days..

    my homepage: how to tattoo Pygmy goats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources
    back to your website? My blog site is in the exact same area of interest as yours and
    my users would really benefit from some of the information you provide here.

    Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks a lot!


    my webpage we buy houses Woodlynne Nj

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest
    you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I want to read even more things about it!

    Also visit my page: learn Ukulele Songs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.

    I'm amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI,
    just 3G .. Anyhow, superb blog!

    Here is my homepage - stream Movies online

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    Feel free to surf to my site: pick lock set how to use it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, every time i used to check website posts
    here in the early hours in the dawn, as i love to gain knowledge
    of more and more.

    Feel free to visit my page ... Easy Songs To Play On The Ukelele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, afterward having my breakfast coming again to read further news.



    Also visit my page ... sell my house Fast erial Nj

    ReplyDelete