We're All Damaged

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Q FOLLOWED BY A


I recently went on this really great new Website called Facebook and asked some readers if they had any questions about my novel, Domestic Violets, or about writing in general.  Here are some of the questions that turned up, followed by the answers that my team of assistants and ghostwriters put together in response.

You’ll notice that some people asked more than one question—often as many as three. Well played, readers.  Well played indeed. 

If you haven’t "Liked Me" on Facebook yet, you absolutely should.  In difficult times like these, I think the world needs to like me now more than ever before. 

Gigi C. asked...
Q: Who are your favorite authors?
A: I’ve got a lot of them.  Richard Russo for starters.  I read Straight Man and Nobody’s Fool in college.  I remember the exact moment in Straight Man—during a scene that starred a goose—when I realized that serious fiction could also be funny, which was a valuable lesson for me. John Irving is another old-school favorite of mine.  His best books have lingered in my head for a very long time.  I have an intellectual crush on Lorrie Moore.  Birds of America is one of my favorite story collections. David Sedaris, Nick Hornby, Kurt Vonnegut, Philip Roth, Jay McInerney, Zadie Smith, and Zoe Heller are all fantastic, too.  I could go on and on. 

Q: If they made DOMESTIC VIOLETS into a movie, who would you pick to play Tom and his father?
A: I actually can’t comment on Curtis’s role quite yet.  The book is in the very final stages of being optioned, and an incredibly awesome actor has called dibs on Curtis. More on that soon—I’m told the deal is done and it’s just a matter of signing contracts at this point.   

As for Tom, I never really had anyone in mind for him when I was writing the book, but I think Jason Bateman would be an interesting choice.  He’s a little older than Tom, but there’s this melancholy world-weariness about him that I think fits well.  My agent actually floated the idea of Bradley Cooper a few months ago.  I think it’d be a cool character for him to play.  He’s an actor who always plays the best looking, most charismatic guy in the room.  Seeing him dial that star wattage down a little could be really compelling—sort of like George Clooney in The Descendants.

Oh…and even though you didn’t ask, a friend of mine insists that Justin Timberlake needs to play Brandon, Tom’s would-be agent.  Now I can’t get that out of my head. 

Q: Do you listen to music while you write, or do you write in silence?
A: Absolute silence is terrifying, so I always, always have something on when I’m working. I normally don’t like listening to my favorite albums when I’m writing, though, like Achtung Baby by U2 or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by Wilco.  I’m too close to the music I love to have it not take over whatever I’m doing.  So, I usually have Pandora running on my computer in the background. Also, a friend of mine made me a mixed CD of movie scores a few years ago.  I go with that sometimes if lyrics are messing me up.  Scores are good because they’re all sound, mood, and emotion...but no words. 


Abby F. asked...
Q: Is there an author that inspired you to begin writing?
A: When I was as kid—like 11 to 17 or so—I read a ton of Stephen King.  I wanted to grow up to be a horror writer.  I totally ripped him off my freshman year in high school in a story I wrote for the literary magazine.  It was about a hunter who mounts all of these horrible trophies and animal heads in his study.  One night all the animals come back to life and maul him to death.  It remains my crowing literary achievement.  One of the janitors at my school actually made a formal complaint to the English department.  He was a big hunter, so I guess he was offended.

Matt Z. asked...
Q: How long did it take you to write your first draft?
A: The first draft took about a year, give or take. 

Q: When is your writing most productive: morning or night?
A: My entire adult life I’ve had 9-5 jobs, so nighttime is really when I do almost all of my writing. Even on weekends it’s tough to get much work done until after my two daughters have gone to bed. That said, nighttime writing is really more out of necessity than preference.  I’d love to wake up every morning, go for a run, and then sit down and get to work.  That’s every writer’s dream. Maybe some day. 

Q: Did you do an outline first?
A: I’ve never formally written an outline.  I do, however, always have key plot points in mind that I’m writing toward, which make up a loose plot in my head.  With Domestic Violets, I had a very clear idea how the book would end from day one, so that was really helpful for generating momentum—sort of like downhill writing.  For the novel I’m working on now, the end is a little hazier, but there are still some key turns that I know I’m going to want to take.  And I’m still trying to work a vampire in there somewhere.  A really good-looking vampire.  And possibly a car that transforms into a fighting robot.

Laura M. asked...
Q: How much time did you spend on revisions after the first draft was complete?
A: As I mentioned earlier, that first draft took about a year.  After that, I messed with it incessantly for about six months, just obsessing over the language and details.  Once I had something that I decided was finished enough, my agent sent it to a handful of editors where it began racking up an impressive string of rejections. 

Then the financial crisis happened.  I remember one day I was watching the news and I had this horrible sense of impending doom—and it was doom that I didn’t even really understand. A couple of days later, I started messing with the book again and trying to weave some of that confusion/anxiety into the story.  Six months later, I’d basically blown the whole novel up and set it squarely in the middle of the mess.  It really helped add some urgency to the "Death Star" sections of the book.

So, long answer short: one year to write the first draft, and about one more year of editing and fiddling and reworking and destroying. 

thenormannation@gmail.com 

18 comments:

  1. Ok, so are you pulling my leg, or is DV actually optioned? I think it must be a joke since you're not screaming it across the interwebs.

    By the way, I have ordered about five or six people to buy and read this, and they've all loved it. Looking forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Picky. Nope, no leg pulling. I haven't been screaming about it because things aren't officially signed yet. We're just working out one last detail, which is that I've demanded to play every character in the movie. Apparently they don't love that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About half way done with DV and am loving it.

    I'd have to agree with Jason Bateman playing Tom, though I really couldn't put up a fight against Bradley Cooper for obvious reasons - well, obvious to most women anyway.

    Also, like Russo (whom I've never read - I'm an ex-teacher & YA gal), you have a real gift for making serious fiction fricken hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, most of the Indian marriage decor depends on how prominent one
    wants the entire ceremony to execute. The right decorations can make the
    wedding great, while the wrong decorations can just as easily make the wedding less than successful.
    In addition, garden roses open up in a very unique, elegant, and absolutely stunning way.


    my blog: Fall Modern Wedding Ideas Photograph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darker colors are the norm for almost all home theater interior design concepts.
    Only when a client is satisfied with his new lovely design,
    the work may be considered to be successful. shop fitting company office, office decoration
    East of foreign electronics factory, Shanghai, small garden (Songjiang Branch),
    Caohejing Nico Mai Di (Shanghai) Electronics
    Co.

    Feel free to surf to my website - interior decorating ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing
    to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed
    while people consider worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    Take a look at my web-site - quantrim truth

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this way each spouse can bring out their own preferences on
    their own wall. Pine wool also is an option and has been in use since
    decades now. Take advantage of natural light and windows by removing
    heavy window treatments and replacing them with light ones that expose as
    much of the window as possible.

    Feel free to surf to my web site ... beach bedroom decor

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parks are necessary to produce oxygen and clear away carbon monoxide
    from the air. Decisions of cities, counties, states,
    and countries the decisions of citizens residing in
    them. Moroccans like tiles and mosaics and Arabic style tiles
    are quite distinctive if you want to use them in your bathroom and kitchen.


    Here is my homepage :: herb patio garden ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. The good motor system is also can give you the satisfaction so
    that you will love it. Once sprouted, they keep for around 2 weeks.
    The process of pressing your own fruit can be very tiresome
    and straining on your body and if you’re
    doing for an extended period of time, you could become overworked and sore.


    Here is my page green star gs 3000 complete juicer and food processor deluxe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there, I found your web site by means of Google whilst looking for a similar
    subject, your website got here up, it seems to be great.
    I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hello there, simply was aware of your blog through Google, and located that it's truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I'll appreciate when you continue this in future.
    Numerous other people will probably be benefited from your
    writing. Cheers!

    Review my site quantrim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! I know this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does building a well-established blog such as yours require a massive amount work?
    I'm completely new to operating a blog but I do write in my journal daily. I'd like to start a blog so I can easily share my own experience and feelings
    online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers.

    Appreciate it!

    Here is my web site :: net-langues.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's to seeing your wedding cake dragon on your big day. But how without a background in design and at least a general familiarity with the baking business how do you know what is possible and what is not. Joann Fabrics Cake Decorating Classes in Minnesota: Joann's
    has locations throughout Minnesota, with most of the stores offering the Wilton Method Cake
    Decorating classes.

    my web page :: boy diaper cake ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that what you posted was very reasonable.
    But, what about this? what if you were to write a killer post title?
    I mean, I don't wish to tell you how to run your blog, but what if you added a headline that grabbed people's attention?

    I mean "Q FOLLOWED BY A" is a little boring. You ought to peek at Yahoo's front page and see how they create post titles to grab viewers to click. You might add a related video or a pic or two to grab people excited about everything've got to say.
    Just my opinion, it would make your website a little bit more interesting.


    Also visit my web page quantrim online

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was suggested this blog via my cousin. I'm not certain whether this put up is written via him as nobody else recognise such targeted about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thank you!

    my web blog: how does quantrim works

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where the smallest of factors gave us happiness, incomparable.
    Decorative paints: House painting has got a creative dimension because of decorative paints.
    Opt for the animal decorations for your wallpapers, the blanket, the curtains.


    Take a look at my web site; small room decorating pictures

    ReplyDelete
  16. They have working in this business for a long time.
    Candles could also be used at a wedding to provide a romantic atmosphere, however often wedding venues don't allow candles because of the fire risk. Preparation for a wedding is fun and is a special event for the bride and groom-to-be.

    my web page: country rustic wedding decor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really recognise what
    you're speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also seek advice from my website =).
    We could have a link alternate agreement among us

    Check out my web site :: is it possible to shrink jeans

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to
    be happy. I've read this submit and if I may just I want
    to recommend you few fascinating issues or tips.
    Maybe you could write next articles regarding this
    article. I want to read more things approximately it!



    My web site :: CHI Straighteners

    ReplyDelete